1896 Samuel Oliver Last Will, Grange Over Sands, Lancashire, England
This is an original 1896 British handwritten last will and testament. It is a handwritten and signed original document of Samuel Oliver and his wife Elizabeth Oliver of Grange Over Sands, Lancashire, England.
One page handwritten Last Will: Samuel Oliver bequeaths all of his belongings "absolutely" to his wife Elizabeth should he die. If his wife dies before him, then all affects, and belongings go to their youngest daughter Isabella Oliver, for her "care of my wife and myself during our long illness, absolutely" He leaves his shares in the Grange over Sands Cooperative Society (assumed to be a member owned company) to his daughters Alice Leedle, Margaret Robinson and Isabella Oliver. It is hand signed by 2 witnesses: Elizabeth Hannah Davison and John Battersby. (Elizabeth is found living at Wood Broughton Grange and John is found living at Ask Tree Cottage, Beckside, Cartmel as a gardener) The will is boldly signed with a large X and the words: Samuel Oliver, his mark.
Note: Grange over Sands is a town and civil parish on Morecambe Bay, midway between Barrow in Furness and Kendal, Cumbria, Lancashire, England.
Found in Public Genealogy Records:
Samuel William Oliver 1812–1896 born in Meldreth, Cambridgeshire, England and died in Lancashire, United Kingdom. (also seen as born in Stevenage, 19 miles from Meldreth)
His father: William Samuel Oliver
His mother: Rebekah Burdett Oliver
His wife: Elizabeth Sowerby Oliver 1822–1897 born, died Cartmel, Lancashire. her parents were John Sowerby 1770–1841 and Agnes Barber Sowerby 1781–1865. Her siblings were Joseph Sowerby 1797–1841; John Sowerby 1805–1873 (married Mary Butler Sowerby 1811–1860); Luke Sowerby 1808–1892; Isabella Sowerby born 1811; Margaret Sowerby Nightingale born 1812 (married William Nightingale 1816–1897); Agnes Sowerby born 1815; Dorothy Sowerby Kellett 1826 (married John Kellett, born 1827)
Their 9 known children:
1. Rebecca Oliver 1845–1874 born in Cartmel, Lancashire and died at the Union Work House in Ulverston, Lancashire, age 28 in childbirth with son, John Oliver 1874–1874. She also had a daughter Elizabeth Oliver 1866–1935, unknown spouse.
2. Agnes Oliver 1847–1854: Agnes Oliver 1847-1908 born in Grange over Sands, Lancashire, England, her birth registered in Ulverston, Lancashire, England. She died in Warwick, Warwickshire, England
Her Husband: Thomas Leedle 1828, born in Bolton Percy, Yorkshire, England, they married in 1869 in Leamington, Warwickshire, England.
George Thomas Leedle born 1870
Elizabeth Leedle 1873-1939, died in Birmingham, Warwickshire, England at age 66
Margaret Agnes Leedle born 1875, born Leamington
William Henry Leedle born 1878, Leamington
John Oliver Leedle 1881-1950 born Leamington and died in Warwick, Warwickshire, age 69
Hugh Samuel Leedle 1886-1947, born Leamington, died 1947, Warwick, age 61
Ernest James Leedle born 1889, Leamington
3. John Burdett Oliver 1849–1935 married Emma Hollyoake Oliver 1850–1920 born in Lillingstone Lovell, Oxfordshire, England, the daughter of William Holleyoake 1806–1869 and Zilpah Young Hollyoake 1813–1893. They had 6 children: Elizabeth Clara Oliver born 1875; William Burdett Oliver 1877–1908 (married Helen Rowberry Gregg Oliver born 1881); Alfred Oliver born 1879, Lucy Oliver Elsom 1882–1953 (married Joseph Elsom
1877–1943); Harry Oliver born 1883, Herbert Oliver born 1890.
4. James Oliver born 1851, married Margaret Agnes Withers Oliver, born 1852 in Preston, Lancashire. Their children were: Samuel W. Oliver born 1877, John J. Oliver born 1878, Mary Oliver born 1880, Margaret Oliver born 1880, Thomas Oliver 1885, and Isabella Oliver born 1885.
5. Elizabeth Oliver 1853–1860, died age 7
6. Margaret Oliver Robinson born 1855
7. William Oliver born 1857
8. Isabella Oliver Taylor born 1860, married William Taylor, born 1861 in Tarn Side Crosthwaite, Westmorland, England. They had a daughter Frances Mary Taylor 1899. (Note: His first wife was Sarah Knowles Taylor born 1868, and they had 3 children: Sarah A Taylor born 1889, Alice Taylor born 1890 and William Taylor born 1892)
9. Samuel Oliver 1862–1864, died age 2.
Samuel Oliver in the 1851 England Census
Estimated birth year: abt 1812
Spouse's Name: Elizabeth Oliver
Where born: Meldreth, Cambridgeshire, England
Civil Parish: Upper Holker, Lancashire, Ulverstone, Cartmel
Household Members, age:
Samuel Oliver 39 occupation: victualler (one who supplies food, provisions for the crew of a vessel at sea)
Elizabeth Oliver 29
Rebecca Oliver 5
Agnes Oliver 3
John Oliver 1
Isabella Sowerby 48, domestic servant (related to wife Elizabeth?)
Samuel Oliver in the 1891 England Census
Birth Year: 1812
Spouse: Elizabeth Oliver
Child: Isabella Oliver
Birth Place: Stevenage, Kent, England (19 miles from Meldreth)
Civil Parish: East Broughton, St Peter and Broughton, Lancashire, England
Registration district: Ulverston
Sub registration district: Cartmel
Household Members: Name Age
Samuel Oliver 79
Elizabeth Oliver 69
Isabella Oliver 30 (youngest daughter)
Samuel Oliver is later seen aa a coachman/domestic servant in the 1871 and 1891 England census living at Wood Broughton Cottage. A beautiful piece, in wonderful, clean condition. All writing is on one side. Samuel wrote the will in 1896, an signed in a larg X as his mark, to finalize his last wishes. A beautiful and original Oliver family piece in beautiful condition, and a rare one of a kind document. It was found in Honiton, Devon, England.
Size 7 x 9 inches
Note: Hello from ~debra. I have spent years collecting over 10,000 ID’d lost family photos & paper from US flea markets & antique shops. I do the best gen research I can, but am always open to corrections. This is an original antique item, not a reprint. You may buy a piece alone, or large intimate 300 dpi scans of the front and back sent immediately via email, or both. Please search carefully, as they are often found together and many may be related. I also invite you to join me at Ancestorville Genealogy on facebook. Thank you, enjoy! ~Debra Clifford (contact info on top bar)