1860's Joshua Thellusson Rowley CDV Photo, 5th Baron, Suffolk, England
On Front: "Joshua Thellusson Rowley" is handwritten and most likely hand signed, autographed in old dip pen ink. Photo type: Original Antique Victorian CDV carte de visite Photograph, a CDV albumen photo glued on thin rag paper and hand signed. Photographer: Unmarked, Unknown.
Joshua married Lady Rowley, a "Maid of Honor" to Queen Victoria.
Found in Public Genealogy Records:
Joshua Thellusson Rowley 1838–1931, 5th Baron of Tendring Hall, County Suffolk, born in Layham, Suffolk, England and died in Cosford, Suffolk, England.
His father: Sir Charles Robert Rowley 1800–1888 4th Baron of Tendring.
His mother: Maria Louisa Vanneck Rowley 1811–1878 daughter of Joshua Vanneck 1778-1844, 2nd Lord Huntingfield and an MP.
His wife: Hon. Louisa Helene Brownlow, 1861-1922, Irish. "Lady Rowley", Maid of Honor to Queen Victoria 1887. Her father was Charles Brownlow 1831-1882, 2nd Baron Lurgan, and Irish Liberal politician and officer in the 76th Regiment of Foot 1849-52, a Knight of St Patrick 1864, Lord Lieutenant of County Armagh, North Ireland 1864-82, and a Lord in Waiting 1869-74. He was the son of Charles Brownlow, 1st Baron Lurgan, and his 2nd wife Jane Macneill Brownlow and owned of the famous greyhound "Master McGrath." Her mother was Hon Emily Anne Browne Brownlow 1833-1923, Baroness Lurgan. They married in 1853 and she was the 4th daughter of John Cavendish Browne, 3rd Baron Kilmaine, by his first wife Eliza Lyon Browne, daughter of David Lyon, of Portland Place, Marylebone, County Middlesex.
Her siblings were:
1. Hon William Brownlow, later 3rd Baron Lurgan
2. Col Hon John Roderick Brownlow 1865-1932)
3. Hon Francis Cecil Brownlow 1870-1932, maried 1909 Angela Platt, 1st daughter of Samuel Radcliffe Platt, of Werneth Park, County Lancaster, and had 3 children: Francis William Brownlow 1910-1910; Lt Col John Desmond Cavendish Brownlow OBE, later 5th Baron Lurgan and Roderick Cecil Brownlow 1914-1914.
4. Hon Daphne Angela Brownlow 1917-1993, married 1942 Lt Col George Edward Brian Brazier Creagh, died 1993, 1st son of Col Kilner Charles Brazier Creagh, of Stock Lodge, Ingatestone, County Essex.
5. Hon Mary Emily Jane Brownlow died 1917
6. Hon Clara Agnes Brownlow died 1942 married 1887 Lt Col George Denham Cookes died 1897
7. Hon Louisa Helene Brownlow, Maid of Honour to Queen Victoria 1861-1922, married 1887 Sir Joshua Thellusson Rowley, 5th Baron of Tendring Hall, County Suffolk, England.
8. Hon Isabella Anna Brownlow died 1935, married 1889 Lt Col Henry Abel Smith, died 1930 of Woodhall, County Hertford
9. Hon Clementina Georgiana Brownlow died 1929, married 1888 Edward Henry Loyd, of Langleybury, County Hertford, and Cadogan Square, London died 1938
6. Hon Emmeline Harriet Annette Brownlow died 1882
Their 2 Children:
Lt. Col. Sir Charles Samuel Rowley, 1891-1962
Captain Joshua Robert Rowley 1893-1917
Source: Complete Baronetage by George Edward Cokayne; 1906; Vol. V; page 254; "Sir Joshua Thellusson Rowley, 5th Baronet, Biographical Summary: "Sir Joshua Thellusson Rowley, Baronet 1786, of Tendring Hall, 2d but 1st surv. s. and h., born 8 Feb. 1838; successor to the Baronetcy, 8 Sep. 1888. Hon. Col. 2d Vol. Batt. Suffolk Reg. He married 19 (let. 1887, at St. Stephen's, South Kensington, Louisa Helene Brownlow (then Maid of Honour to Queen Victoria), 3d daughter of William (Brownlow), 2d Baron Lurgan, by Emily, daughter of George Henry Brownlow of Cadogan, 5th Earl Cadogan. She was born 13 Oct. 1861."
Source: The County Families of the United Kingdom; or, Royal Manual of the Titled and Untitled Aristocracy of England, Wales, Scotland, and Ireland, Volume 59, 1919 by Edward Walford. Published in London by R. Hardwicke: "Sir Joshua Thellusson Rowley, Bart. or Baron of Tendring Halll, Suffolk. Cr. 1786. Eldest son of Sir Charles Robert Rowley, 4th Bart. of Tendring, by the Hon. Maria Louisa, who d. 1878, dau. of Joshua, 2nd Lord Huntingfield; born 1838; sired 1888; married 1887 the Hon. Louisa Helene Brownlow, 3rd daughter of the 2nd Lord Lurgan. Sir Joshua Rowley, who was educated at Harrow and at Trinity College, Cambridge, is a J.P. and D.L. for Suffolk, Hon. Colonel 5th Battillion., previously Lieut. Colonel and Hon. Col. Coram. 2nd Volunteer Battillion Suffolk Regt., V.D., and Patron of 4 livings: Tendring Hall, Stoke by Nayland, Sufolk; Holhecks, Hadleigh, Suffolk; Travellers Club, s.w."
This beautifully hand signed Victorian era photo was found in Clydebank, West Dunbartonshire, England, United Kingdom. A rare and wonderful image with much illustrious history, and a verified connection to Her Majesty Queen Victoria 1819-1901. Joshua and Louisa Brownlow was "Maid of Honour" to Queen Victoria when they married, did the Queen attend the wedding? We bet so! A beautiful piece.
Size: 2.5 x 4 inches
Note: Hello from ~debra. I have spent years collecting over 10,000 ID’d lost family photos & paper from US and now UK flea markets & antique shops. I do the best gen research I can, but am always open to corrections. This is an original antique item, not a reprint. A new high quality rigid sleeve is included for extra protection, especially during shipping. You may buy a piece alone, or large intimate 300 dpi scans of the front and back sent immediately via email, or both. Please search carefully, as they are often found together and many may be related. I also invite you to join me at Ancestorville Genealogy on facebook. Thank you, enjoy! ~Debra Clifford (contact info on top bar)
We Also Recommend....