1879 Jacob Hector Brandstatt & Lena Long Photo, Kansas to California
On reverse: "Lena Long and Hector Brandstatt on their wedding day" is handwritten in old pencil. Photo Type: CDV Carte de Visite Photograph, known to be taken on April 26, 1879 1879. Photographer: Hutchings Photographer, Burlington, Kansas (known to be Dr. Samuel H. Hutchings 1845–1918 born in Indiana and died in Missouri. His father was John Stout Hutchings 1824–1865 of Ohio. His mother was Elizabeth Ann Ribble Hutchings 1825–1908 of Virginia who died in Iowa. His brother was GW Hutchings or George Washington Hutchings 1848-1880 also a photographer who ran Hutchings Railroad Photo Car in KS & NE)
Found in Public Genealogy Records:
Jacob Hector Brandstatt 1856–1940 born in Circleville, Pickaway, Ohio, and died in Sutter County, California. His father was John Brandstatt 1832–1911 born in Lancaster, Fairfield County, Ohio, and died in Yuba City, Sutter County, California. His mother was Eliza Kurtz Brandstatt 1848–1874, born in Tennessee and died in Texas. They married in 1855 in Pickaway County, Ohio. Her name is spelled as Eliza Curtz on their 1855 marriage record.
Jacob Hector's Siblings:
1. John Friederic Brandstatt 1858–1939, thought to have married Johanna Christina Hauserin Brandstatt.
2. William Henry Brandstadt 1860–1886, died age 26
3. Harriet Elizabeth Brandstatt 1861–1886 died age 25, same year as her brother William above.
4. Margaret A Brandstatt 1865–1935, seen as Maggie, she died in Pomona, Los Angeles County, California. She married in 1884 in Geneva, Allen County, Kansas to Isaac Newton Luyster 1849–1914 of Hopewell, Johnson County, Indiana. He died in Yuba City, Sutter, California.
5. Mary Ellen Brandstatt 1865–1949 married John Thatcher Davidson 1858–1915 of Prospect, Marion County, Ohio in 1883. Their son was Lee Edward Davidson 1892–1976 who married Florence Helena Davidson White 1895–1982.
6. Samuel Morgan Brandstatt 1867–1945 born in Circleville, Pickaway, Ohio and died in Tipton, Tillman County, Oklahoma, OK. He married Nancy Christine Payne Brandstatt 1876–1966 in 1894. She was born in Baxter County, Arkansas, and died in Lawton, Comanche County, Oklahoma.
His wife was Lena Pauline Long Brandstatt 1856–1931 born Ohio, and died in Yuba City, Sutter County, California. She was the daughter of Peter Long and Rose Straub Long, both of Germany. She and Jacob (apparently known as Hector Brandstatt at the time) were married on April 26, 1879 in Burlington, Coffey County Kansas. This is their beautiful wedding photo.
Their children were:
1. Charles F. Brandstatt 1882–1930 unknown
2. May Brandstatt 1882–1883 died infant
3. Alice S Brandstatt Bowen 1883–1967 married Thomas Bowen McIsaac 1886–1960. Their daughter was Rosemarie McIsaac 1919–1998, known as Rea.
4. Minnie Ellen Brandstatt Plantz 1886–1996 born in Burlington, Coffey County, Kansas, and died in Marysville, Yuba County, California. She married Timothy Alexander Plantz 1882–1961 and had 3 sons: William Hector Plantz 1910–1960, Alan Timothy Plantz 1912–1990
and Donnell W Plantz 1914–1986.
5. Nellie Myrtle Brandstatt Wilcoxon 1889–1984 born in Burlington, Coffey County, Kansas, and died in Vacaville, Solano County, California. She was married 1st to William Baxter Wilcoxon 1886–1918 of California in 1909. He was the son of Baxter Allen Wilcoxon
1856–1915 and Anna Phillips Wilcoxon 1862–1898. Their eldest daughter was Alice Wilcoxon Grover Cooper 1913–1948, who married William C. Grover 1905–1986. Her second spouse was
Andrew John Cooper 1913–1943. Their second daughter was Roberta E Wilcoxon Pickering Robertson 1918–1995, who married 1st Robert Lloyd Pickering 1917–1987. Nellie's 2nd Spouse was Grover Franklin Robertson 1896–1981, married 1923 and they had daughter Jean Marie Robertson Spaulding 1927–2001 who married James Henry Spaulding 1926–2014 of Eureka, Humboldt County, California.
6. Ray Brandstatt 1891–1958, married Mable Pehrson or Pierson born 1892. Their child was Marjorie Ann Brandstett 1924–1989.
7. Bessie Brandstatt 1896–2003
8. Josie Brandstatt Elkington 1897–1979 who married George James Elkington 1900–1976 of Napa County, California and had 3 sons Robert Warren Elkington 1923–2003, Kenneth Albert Elkington 1928–2016 and George James Elkington 1933–2005.
This beautiful April 26th, 1879 wedding photo was found Gardena, California, in the South Bay or Southwestern area of Los Angeles County, California. This surname is also spelled as Brand, Brad, Bradstadt, Bradstat and Bradstatt in census records. A beautiful and rare wedding image of this young Brandstatt family on their long American journey from Germany to Ohio to sunny California USA. Their Victorian clothing is impeccable and it is a wonderful shot.
NOTE: We have much higher resolution scans coming of this photo by April 25th, 2019, as well as the original. If you order now, you will receive the lesser images, and we will send the original or scans to you on that date. This beautiful piece is in transit to us.
Size: 2.5 by 4 inches
Note: Hello from ~debra. I have spent years collecting over 10,000 ID’d lost family photos & paper from US flea markets & antique shops. I do the best gen research I can, but am always open to corrections. This is an original antique item, not a reprint. A new high quality rigid sleeve is included for extra protection, especially during shipping. You may buy a piece alone, or large intimate 300 dpi scans of the front and back sent immediately via email, or both. Please search carefully, as they are often found together and many may be related. I also invite you to join me at Ancestorville Genealogy on facebook. Thank you, enjoy! ~Debra Clifford (contact info on top bar)
We Also Recommend....