1870's George Havens CDV Photo, Newark Valley, Tioga County, NY & CT
On reverse: "George Haven, Son of Jonathon Haven and Catherine Gallup Haven, brother of Lavinia Haven Murdock" is clearly handwritten in old black dip pen ink. Photo type: Original vintage Victorian CDV carte de visite Photo, circa 1870's. Photographer: Unmarked, Unknown.
Found in Public Genealogy Records:
George Havens 1823–1889 born in Groton, New London Connecticut and died in Newark Valley, Tioga County, New York.
His father: Jonathan Havens 1781–1848
His mother: Catherine Gallup 1784–1854
His parents are both buried together at the Wightman Cemetery in Groton, New London County, Connecticut.
His 11 Siblings:
1. Elmira Havens Clift 1804–1872 married Lemuel Clift 1798–1882 and had a son named Lemuel A. Clift Jr 1845–1899.
2. Julia Havens 1805–1865
3. Johnathan Havens II born 1806 (Jonathan Havens)
4. Francina Havens Stillman 1808-1844 born in Groton CT, died 08 Sep 1844 in New London CT, wife of Matthew Stillman 1811-1886 born Pawcatuck Rhode Island, died in Plainfield New Jersey. They had 4 children together and 3 died young, Eliza Stillman 1834–1843, died age 9; Amos Stillman 1836–1842, died age 6; and Matthew H. Stillman II 1840–1843, died age 3. Their daughter Julia Havens Stillman 1833-1904 married Seth Hubbard Higgins 1843–1911, the son of Seth Higgins 1806–1853 and Wealthy A Rathbun Higgins 1806–1844. Note: Her father Mathew remarried Melissa Colgrove 1811–1878 after her mother Francina died in 1844. She then had 3 half siblings: Matthew Henry Stillman 1846–1847, Beriah Colgrove Stillman 1848–1849 and Sarah Frances Stillman 1850–1899.
5. Jane Catherine Havens Lamb 1810-1897
6. Edmund Fish Havens 1812-1884 married Emily Tuttle 1813–1912 and had 3 children: Edmund Turner Havens 1841–1917, John Havens 1843–1942, Albert Tuttle Havens 1845–1933 and Dwight E Havens 1849–1925.
7. Lavinia Havens 1814-1889 Married Enoch Murdock 1796-1866 in Connecticut and had one daughter Delia Murdock 1846-1930. (She inscribed this photo of George)
8. Maria Havens 1816-1899 married Lyman Rogers 1798-1866 in New London CT (his 2nd wife) when she was 40 and they had no children.
9. Urbane Havens 1819-1888: Urbane Chester Havens married Sarah H. Rogers Havens 1818-1903 They had 6 children: Brigadier General George Havens 1844–1933, Mary Elizabeth Havens 1845–1929, Jane Catherine Havens 1847–1887, Urbane Chester Havens Jr. 1849–1860, Saul Chester Havens 1853–1880 and Sarah J. Havens 1857–1930.
10. George Havens 1823-1889, himself, this photo.
11. Jonathan Havens III 1826–1859 married Abigail Packer Holdridge 1831–1915 (also seen as Abby Holdredge) 1831-1915, born in Rhode Island. They had 3 children: Mary A. Havens born 1854, Adelia K. Havens 1856–1948 and George Henry Havens 1859–1930.
12. Fanny Gallup Havens 1829–1904 a teacher, born in New London, and died in Groton, New London, Connecticut.
George's wife: Lucy Mary Wheeler 1826–1914 born in Stonington, Connecticut to Richard Wheeler 1800–1868 and Cynthia Gallup 1806–1903 and died in White, Indiana County, Pennsylvania. Buried at Hope Cemetery, Newark Valley, Tioga County, New York.
Their 6 Children:
1. Maria Ellen Havens 1847–1928 first married Corporal James Rogers Tracy 1830–1882, a Civil War veteran of Co. D 1st NY Regt. who died in 1882 in a farm accident. She later married Harvey Stoddard born 1844, and later Hiram Stoddard. Her children with James R. Tracy were Jeremiah Santry 1852–1933, Ellen Santry born 1855, William Dwight Tracy 1866–1939, Cornelius Roger Tracy 1868–1924, Carrie Stevens Tracy 1869–1946 Edwin Havens Tracy 1871–1918, Lucy M. Tracy 1873–1963, Henrietta Helen Tracy 1875–1939, Herbert Arthur Tracy 1876–1958, and Myra Ann Tracy 1879–1959
2. William Walker Havens 1848- married Sarah E Rutledge Havens 1851-1930, died in Los Angeles, California. He was a Civil War veteran in the 21st NY Cavalry.
3. Charles E. Havens 1852-1892 born in Tioga County NY and died in Sanborn County, South Dakota. He married Mary Alice Hutchins Havens, 1857-1942 who was born in Seward, Winnebago County, Illinois to Osman Baker Hutchins 1801–1866 and Mary Lovicy Dort Hutchins born 1833. She died in Oakdale, Antelope County, Nebraska. They had 4 children: Lucy Mary Havens 1883–1973, Harry Osman Havens 1885–1962, Edwin W Havens born 1889 and Harvey Havens born 1890.
4. Fanny I. Havens Mosher 1858–1947 married Frank Mosher born 1858, and had one daughter Addie Sarah Mosher 1884-1978. Note: She is also seen as Sarah Addie Mosher.
5. Myra A. Havens 1862–1847 married William Nelson Van Duser 1863–1935 and had 2 children, Harry C. Van Duser born 1886 and Charles F. Van Duser 1892–1911. He was also known as W.N. Van Duser which is also seen in census as VanDusen, Van Dusen and Vanduser.
6. George F. Havens Jr. born 1870, unknown, not seen after 1880 census.
This is an important SAR Sons and DAR Daughters family:
Jonathan Havens in the US Sons of the American Revolution Membership Application Records from 1889-1970:
Name: Jonathan Havens
Birth Date: 23 Jun 1781
Death Date: 9 Jun 1848
SAR Membership: 38341
Spouse: Catherine Gallup
Children: Jonathan Havens
A wonderful Haven, Murdock & Gallup family photo. See scan...his face is not as clear as we'd like, but still can be seen well at full size. This is a wonderful and rare original Havens genealogy piece, found in Hampden County, Massachusetts. This is an important new England family, and as per the beautiful inscription, we know that it personally belonged to George's sister Lavinia Havens Murdock.
Size 2.5 x 4 inches
Note: The original is sold, but you may still purchase large, detailed and intimate 300 dpi high resolution scans of front and back, sent immediately via email. Please check our site carefully, as many may be related to each other that we are unaware of. Click scan to place in your cart. Thank you, enjoy! ~debra (please also join me at Ancestorville Genealogy on facebook. contact info on top bar)
We Also Recommend....